Here is the direct quote from her official site:
She has moved to NY earlier this week and hasn't got any Internet connection up running yet, so unfortunately she can't monitor this board right now.When I first heard about it in the interview, I thought maybe Freja was talking about getting a second apartment. You know, a place to land whenever she's in the city for work, which has been quite often of late. After all, she's made no secret of her love for Denmark and her satisfaction living there. So it's a little surprising to me that she would make this move now.
For the past five years Freja has successfully managed to do her job very well, all while maintaining a home base in Copenhagen. Her career is totally established and she's well known and (I'm assuming) well paid enough to live wherever she wants to. So why would she choose to make this move now?
Only Freja can answer that question, but that's not going to stop me from mulling it over and coming up with some reasons as to why I think she moved now.
1. We've seen a very steady uptick recently in the amount of work Freja has put out. Perhaps things reached a fever-pitch and the move was a necessary, common sense response for her heath and sanity's sake. Constantly traveling across the globe definitely takes it's toll on the body and it's circadian rhythms.
2. In addition to dressing the part now, Freja is finally committing to the fashion industry and fully accepting her role within it. This move is just the last piece of the puzzle. Most girls move within a few months after starting their career so Freja's situation is definitely an anomaly. She stayed true to her "rebel" reputation and did things her own way. Simultaneously, this move could also be seen as a sign of maturity in that she's growing out of this rebel phase and into adulthood. Which brings me to....
3. Freja's reached that point in her life where she wants more independence and freedom. She wants to live completely on her own terms, to see if she's strong enough to survive in a new city. She has matured into young adulthood and moving away from home is the most tangible expression of that. I think we all feel something similar when we transition from our teens into our twenties, so maybe it's no coincidence that this move coincides with her 22nd birthday. It also helps that...
4. All her model friends live in NY and hang out together. Maybe Freja just didn't want to be apart from that any more. Yes, she has her family and childhood friends in Denmark, but there comes a point in one's life when you just want to strike out on your own. And friend geography helps you determine where that should happen. I know that I'm living where I am because of my friends.
5. The lure of the city that never sleeps was just too strong to deny any longer.
6. Her motivations are none of the above and not professionally related at all. If this is the case, then it's none of our business. :)
Do you think I'm missing anything? Even though I can't figure out why Freja moved now, this is exciting for us fans because of it's implications. New York is one of the centers of the fashion industry, so Freja's move to it implies that we'll be seeing even more work from her. It also implies that she'll be sticking around a lot longer than any of us thought.
Proof positive that things can and do change for the better. If you told me one year ago that Freja was going to start an official site, have one of her best campaign seasons ever and move to NY I would have called you crazy. Knowing that all this has actually happened in the past year, I'm excited and a little scared to see where we'll be one year from now.
BTW, thanks everyone for the wonderful comments yesterday about the anniversary of this blog and Freja's b-day. You would think a few words from people you don't know wouldn't make a difference, but they do. They make all the difference in the world.