Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On Repeat: Freja, Meisel, Vogue Italia

For the second month in a row, Freja is featured in the main story for Vogue Italia photographed by Steven Meisel. If you're keeping track, Freja and Meisel have now collaborated five times in as many months; four times for VI and one time for Vogue US. To go from zero to one hundred like this is simply mind-boggling if you've been following Freja since the early years. All the evidence points to the fact that she's now become a Meisel favorite, but I still can't help but to think "this will be the last time," every time I see them working together.

Maybe I just don't like to count my eggs before they hatch. Maybe I'm just too weary and overly cautious in my age. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist. I should probably just shut up and enjoy the ride, but knowing that Meisel can be very fickle in terms of models (Daria and Elise immediately come to mind) is holding me back from completely embracing the fact that Freja is now a Meisel girl. Is anyone else having the same problem? Or is it just me?



Anyway, there are other girls in the story, but each seems to have been shot individually. It's a great mix of old and new: Amber Valletta, Angela Lindvall and Joan Smalls, Gwen Loos. I'm also thrilled to see Geidre Dukauskaite, a previous Meisel fav, return to prominence!

Now that Freja has been in plenty of Meisel editorials, it still remains to be seen whether she'll be in a Meisel campaign. I don't mean to get too ahead of myself and entirely contradict what I just said above, but with editorials in back to back issues of VI, maybe it is more likely that she'll land in one of the campaigns he shoots. The question is, which one? And even if she doesn't, I'll be so happy with her campaign season as it stands: Chanel and Max Mara. Besides, I never like it when you see the same model in 10 campaigns. After all, variety is the spice of life, and there are too many other girls who I want to see have some taste of success.

Video Credit: vogue.it

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all these Miesel editorial pouring in quick succession, my feelings mirror yours. I just hope she remains one of his regulars for a while. Also, the news about Max Mara campaign is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't jump the gun either, so I agree with you. There are so many models who have worked with him and then he totally forgot about them (Katrin, Agnete, Kamila, etc) I'm still happy she's part of this editorial because it seems like an old school Meisel editorial. The portraits are all beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Prose, i understand your point. i dont want to be too optimistic about it. but i do have to say the difference between freja and prevous meisel faves like katrin, agnete is that freja is an established model.

Anonymous said...

For the exception of Kate Moss, Freja is the only model that I like. So I wouldnt mind seeing her in 10 campaigns. Heehee....

Anonymous said...

Only Chanel and Max Mara for this season?! Please don't jinx it!! ^__^

Miranda said...

"Maybe I'm just too weary and overly cautious in my age." Nah, I have the same sentiments (I'm 15). While I can't help but grow afraid at the prospect that each time Freja and Meisel collaborate might possibly be the last (in a long while at least), I also like to be in the moment and consider it a blessing that they're working together for the time being.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm biased, but when watching the models in action, Freja is the only one I really want to look at. Something about her expressions, they're come more naturally, rather than posing.
Fingers crossed for a Meisel/Beha stable relation.
xx

COCAMIA said...

The two of them collaborate really well together! Magic!!!

Unknown said...

I totally understand where you are coming from, but I think it is better to be at least loved once than to never. Yes, Elise and Daria are not exactly Meisel girls anymore but they are both still great models. I mean, look at Daria, she is more popular than ever, at least I think so. Sure, Steven Meisel is one of the best fashion photographers out there, but there is more than him. And just because he is gonna one day, god forbit, stop using Freja, does not mean it is the last day of Freja's career. When a true gem falls out of the hands of an aristocrat and into the hands of a middle class man, a true gem is a true gem and it will always shine. Freja is a true gem.

Rrose Sélavy said...

@kssy: Appreciate your comment, but I didn't mean to imply that if Meisel stopped working with her that would be the end of her career. I just meant that people shouldn't take it for granted and be overly enthusiastic that she's going to show up in all his work from now on. Better to be cautious then get hopes up too high. :)

After all, Freja has already proven she can have a career without Meisel.