Monday, April 26, 2010

Ads



Found another Chanel Eyewear ad. No visible tattoos in this one, but it's a striking image nonetheless. Cool, modern, and sleek is just the way I like things. Also, does anyone else find it strange that the eyewear ads are so different from the main ads in setting, theme and aesthetic this season? I thought there was usually some correlation between the two (aside from models), and from what my recent memory can recall there has been. But not this time around. The Chanel eyewear ads appear to exist as a separate entity this season....not that I'm complaining.

And while we're on the subject of ads, Freja also has the campaign for Korean brand Voice of Voices. Their site isn't easy to navigate, so be forewarned.




Typical stereotype of Freja as the tough, androgynous model. I'm ok with this just as long as it's not the only type of work we see from her, and it hasn't been thank goodness. The poses are a little too contrived for my tastes, but it's nice to see Freja work globally in other markets. I know she has a huge fanbase in China, but does she have one in Korea too? Anyone know? Freja has worked for other Korean brands before, like System in SS06 and again in FW0809, so I tend to think she does.

Image Credits: My scans, vov.co.kr via tFS member ERIKIMISUN

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that Anja's Chanel's eyewear ads for Fall Winter 2007 were completely different than Freja's Chanel ads.
http://community.livejournal.com/modelcouture/608302.html#cutid1

Rrose Sélavy said...

^Thank you! very helpful. I guess maybe they go back and forth between integrating them into the mainline campaign, and having them separate.

Anonymous said...

I guess so, I'm gonna try to look for more Chanel eyewear campaigns to see if they had the same theme :)
But this is the first time they've used the same model for both the mainline and eyewear ads
Yay for Freja!

Anonymous said...

I think they used Heidi mount for mainline and eyewear ads for SS09

Tiara said...

Why is it that you never like Freja's more androgynous work? That is who she is at the end of the day. I remember reading an interview of her in i-D Magazine a few years ago and she said that what she loved most about the images they shot of her was that it was a true, honest reflection of who she was. And she was just as androgynous as you would imagine. There is something so beautiful about seeing models as they really are instead of masquerading as these insane fantasies in tiny clothes (although I did love Steven Meisel's editorial, "Shrink to Fit"). I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Anonymous said...

i agree with prose. im doing with freja doing androgynous work as long as she has tons of other work lining up. i just dont want her to be trapped as the androgynous model. right now its her femininity getting more work for her.

look at what happened to amanda moore and tasha.

Anonymous said...

yes in korea they show clips of her when describing "hot haircuts" or "stylish boots" etcetc there is even a tv ad for this vov campaign

Anonymous said...

Yes, Freja has a huge fanbase in Korea, too. We love Freja :)

COCAMIA said...

Such beautiful ads! Freja is a jem!

Rrose Sélavy said...

@ Tiara: I've touched on this before, but I came to love Freja during the early part of her career when she wasn't pinned down as the androgynous girl. She was feminine, yet she still had enough of a personality and edge that made her different. I happen to think she's the most beautiful when she's allowed to express her femininity. The androgyny became quite predictable and limiting in my opinion. To each her own though. It's all a matter of opinion and I touch on mine more thoroughly in this old post.

Tiara said...

@Rrose Selavy Interesting. My comment wasn't meant to be argumentative or anything. There is enough of that on the Internet! But femininity can be just as limiting as androgyny. It all depends on the pose and the photographer and the wardrobe and the makeup etc. etc. And the incredible thing about Freja is that she is androgynous in the purest sense of the word. She shows characteristics of both sexes much more so than most models. Which means that she is feminine even when she is androgynous and she is androgynous even when she is feminine.

I've seen Freja's earlier work and I've seen this transition that she's undergone and even then I liked her more when she was authentically herself. Maybe I spend so much time in this fantasy that is fashion that I am rebelling and crave the reality and the authenticity. Maybe that is why I like Freja's more androgynous work.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.