Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kind Words



Remember this one shot in the New York Times T Style Magazine that came at the very end of 2010? Well, I just stumbled on some words the photographer (Alice O'Malley) said about Freja and the experience of shooting her. They're so lovely that I just had to share.

"Over the years you have developed an amazing body of work featuring your friends, an extended circle of downtown New York artists. How is it for you shooting people you don't know? Is it important for you to create some sort of intimacy? And how do you do this when you only have the subject for say, 40 minutes - or less?

Less! I had 10 minutes with Freja [Beha Erichsen]. She arrived at the Chelsea off a runway show at twilight, and we ran up to the roof to catch the last drops of sun. That’s when I understood the skill of a professional model. Her genius in front of the camera meant that we could make a great picture in only a few minutes. And somehow we found time to talk about the first wave of feminism in America. I always make a connection with my subjects; that's what I photograph, our connection."

Writing this blog makes me forget sometimes (ironically enough) why I like Freja so much. Maybe I get too focused on the words, or trying to come up with something to say. But whenever I read stuff like this, no matter how small or insignificant it might seem, it gives me a jolt and makes me remember "oh yeah, that's why." :) Because she's a great model and she can talk about feminism. But of course, those are just a few of the many reasons why.

Image Credit: nytimes.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. Thanks for posting. :)

newmanbuster said...

Wonderful job, as per usual, with all of the 2011 postings and we are only two weeks into the new year!! Unbelievable - then again, with the way 2010 evolved for Freja, perhaps not. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these little tidbits to us. :))

Anonymous said...

Videos Behind The Scenes

Vogue Italia January 2011 (The Power of Glamour).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wuyxy2Fia4

Freja Beha for Georg Jensen-Behind the Secenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGRNboIoHQ

Niandra said...

Lovely! Yes, this is why Freja is my favorite and why I find her so interesting. That's amazing that the shot took 10 minutes total!