Tuesday, December 22, 2009

From the Side

Sometimes I think we focus so much on the view from the front that we miss the beauty of seeing something from the side. These profile shots of Freja are a perfect example of this.




Maybe I'm just weird, but one of my favorite things about Freja is her profile. (Now that I've admitted this, I can just picture you telling yourself to slowly tip-toe back from the computer screen and away from the crazy person. It's ok....the fact that I even started this blog should have already been enough of a tip off to my strangeness.) The sloping lines are graceful and distinctive; simultaneously strong and cute.

In something as simple as this view from the side, I see a microcosm of the characteristics that make Freja captivating as a model. You could say that her brow and sharp nose are masculine and her defined lips are feminine. Even if you don't agree with my assessment, my point is that it's these two polar gender concepts working in tandem that give her an edge in the modeling world. She can toe the middle line or go in either direction on the spectrum.

Sadly, most people only seem to focus on the masculine side when it comes to Freja. Just look at her recent Twin editorial or the SS10 Chanel show. But we must remember that the attractions of androgyny cannot be appreciated without a background impression of femininity, for the two are mutually dependent. The complexities and beauty of one do not exist without the counter balance of the other, and I think we'd all be the better for it if people kept that in mind this upcoming year. Let Freja show her range!

Ugh, sorry for the disjointed ramblings tonight. I'm currently in a location devoid of any real mental stimulation so I've turned to this blog as my outlet. Point of this post: Freja has a pretty profile that I like a lot. I hope that people will stop pigeonholing her as the masculine, androgynous model.

Anyway, merry Christmas, Channukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, whatever you celebrate at this time of year! I hope it's a good one!

Image Credits: stylesightings.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not strange at all, or maybe we are two strange persons because I think that Freja has a very perfect profile. From the start I felt in love with her nose! She as Cleopatra's nose!!

And her very define lips make her even more perfect. Oh and I love her smile from the side...ok I'll stop here, it's becoming very strange ^^

But thanks for those sides pictures!

Miranda said...

^Same to you both! I'm always wondering if it's just me that takes note of such things!

Unknown said...

Happy Christmas Rrose Sélavy...

with much love, appreciation and prayers,

bev

p/s: It's always a pleasure reading the scriptures of your thoughts

SF said...

I think Freja's best asset is her profile, just look at her stunning Chloe FW07 ad.

Happy Holidays to all!

J said...

the girl is incapable of taking a bad picture!

Anonymous said...

Happy holidays Rrose!
keep the posts coming ;)

CL

Anonymous said...

"But we must remember that the attractions of androgyny cannot be appreciated without a background impression of femininity, for the two are mutually dependent. The complexities and beauty of one do not exist without the counter balance of the other, and I think we'd all be the better for it if people kept that in mind this upcoming year."

You're amazing!
It can't be said better <33