Monday, March 21, 2011

A Construction Worker Who Collects Rocks

Since we're sitting firmly in the quiet that comes post show season and pre campaign casting frenzy, I thought I'd share this snapshot of Freja from five years ago:

"Has been modeling for a year. Would have been a construction worker in a nother life. Lives in Copenhagen, Addicted to shopping and sleeping. Collects beach rocks. Q: Which three things would you take with you to a desert island? A: My lover, my bed and a private jet, so I could leave if I got bored."
File this under things I didn't know: Freja used to (or still does?) collect beach rocks. I love digging up old stuff like this because it's so interesting to think of how a person develops and what changes they go through in a lifetime, or even in a matter of a few years. And with models, it's so rare that they're actually around long enough for us to fondly remember their "early years" and look back on their career trajectory with such nostalgia. In this context, 2006 seems like ages ago, doesn't it?

If this snapshot were done today, I wonder what things would change and what things would remain the same? Everything would probably change, because that's what humans do; we change. Even if we look the same on the outside, our daily experiences shift us little by little until we're new versions of ourselves. So I'm going take a venture and propose that this snapshot would read something like this today:

"Has been modeling for 6 years. Would have been a musician in another life. Lives in New York. Addicted to her Balenciaga leather jacket and cigarettes. Collects Guitars." :)

As for the question of things to take to a desert island, your guess is as good as mine. In another five years, maybe things will read in an entirely different manner. But that's all just part of the fun; because in the end, the change and uncertainty is what keeps things relevant and keeps all of us tuned in for the ride.

Image Credits: My scan

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post is soooo sweet. I can feel your affection to her.

Anonymous said...

"Addicted to her Balenciaga leather jacket and cigarettes." :))

Ange said...

i know! you're so sweet Rrose. how many times do i have to say 'thank you for doing this blog'? a lot i guess. doesn't seem enough. so, here we go, thank you.
(:

Anonymous said...

maybe is Addicted to her lover,bed,Balenciaga leather jacket and cigarettes.lol:)

newmanbuster said...

Thank you for the trip down memory lane! That is great! :) Hoping for a new editorial soon.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but chuckle when I read the snapshot and your new version for it :). Well, Freja, such a sweetie she seems to be. Lover, bed, private jet - haha the best answer for that kind of question I've ever known.

About your post, I think you're right. Everything changes and everyone does too. Believe it or not, I read this entry on my cellphone while I was in a club last night (don't ask why I wasn't dancing then instead :)). Just want to let you know I even didn't know who Freja Beha was and paid little attention to fashion or modeling industry over one year and a half ago. Until this early year I didn't still believe I could possibly find myself in a club. But see where I am now. I check this blog dedicated to a fashion model on a regular basis and really enjoy the music and the sight of people dancing around me in a club. Actually, somewhere deep down inside I still stay true to myself, yet change little by little with time passing by.
p/s: you're seems sweet and cute :D

Anonymous said...

Do you know where this (new) picture is coming from? Nobody seems to know the source.

http://50mmf12l.tumblr.com/post/3197055826/freja-for

Anonymous said...

OMG she looks so much like Victoria Beckham in her early days in this picture:)

Rrose Sélavy said...

You're welcome everyone!

To anonymous @ 1:50am: Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you found Freja. :)

To anonymous @ 5:37am: I'm sorry I have no idea where that came from. Maybe the tumblr owner can say where they got it from originally, and then you can determine what it's from?

Anonymous said...

Can't even imagine Freja being addicted to shopping now :)
and thank you, thank you for your wonderful blog! I've found it about a year ago and since then I am your faithful reader :)

jaimi said...

It's striking how much she has grown as a model and how much more her presence shines through in photos now.
And ha, I like that she would have been a construction worker in another life.