Wednesday, February 23, 2011

March Editorials

Exactly one year after her US Vogue debut, Freja scores her second appearance in the magazine. Is March the Anna Wintour month for doing things out of the ordinary? How else can we explain that Freja's only two times in the magazine have both been in March? Coincidence I guess....

Punk'd
Ph: David Sims
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington
Other Models: Arizona Muse, Raquel Zimmermann





I never thought I'd be so happy to see Freja jumping against a gray background in US Vogue. :) Maybe because I absolutely love the styling, all three models, and their whimsical facial expressions. When fashion doesn't take itself too seriously, and lets its hair down so to speak, the results can be charming and lovely. The juxtaposition of the absurd faces with the tough modernity of the clothes: leather, spikes and studs mixed with bug eyes, fish lips and exaggerated expressions. You see an editorial like this and you just want to smile.



And thank goodness all three models match each other in terms of ability in front of the camera. How off-putting would it have been to insert some 15 year old newbie who looks as awkward as she probably feels? I know some people don't get the hype about Arizona, but I think she's a dream in print, so I really don't mind her at all. In fact, I find myself right-click-saving nearly all her editorial images. And it's refreshing to see someone older and more mature getting hyped.

Speaking of Arizona, she also poses in Freja's second editorial of the month, along with French model (and my current model love) Aymeline Valade.

The Change Agent
Ph: Steven Meisel
Styling: Nicolas Ghesquiere


The three make such a wonderful team that I find myself lamenting the fact that they only have this one shot. I want more. More. MORE! Eeeek! Lol, can you sense the sheer excitement that I feel from having Aymeline and Freja together in an editorial? I love when my favorite models work together.....I don't know why, I just do. And in some ways, Aymeline reminds me a lot of Freja. They both have this innate toughness that expresses itself in features both androgynous and gorgeously feminine. Both are instantly recognizable on the catwalk with their sharp features and modern lines. Yes both are beautiful in a classic way. Both give off a sense of individuality, maturity, and ease that comes from a fully recognized sense of self. These features are rare and develop over time and with experience. So even though Aymeline is a "new face," she's actually older than Freja and has been diligently working away at the lower rungs of the fashion industry until she broke through this year.

Hmmmm, I kind of went off on a tangent here. Sorry! In sum, Aymeline is like Freja except with blue eyes, a French accent, and strong runway walk. ;)

After a quiet month so far, things are beginning to amp up. And with the start of Milan today and Paris soon after, the promise of more things to get excited about lingers on the horizon. But for now, Freja runway sightings remain elusive. And so they should, since Freja deserves a break after 12 straight runway seasons. Right? So wherever you are Freja, your fans wish you well! Just make sure to show up for at least one show...*cough* Chanel *cough*.

Image Credits: My scans

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In sum, Aymeline is like Freja except with [...] strong runway walk. ;)"

Careful now! :P

Rrose Sélavy said...

^ hee hee. :D

endia said...

That's not nice. I could rag on Ay to get even, but I like her, so I won't. lol

Annie said...

nope. Aymeline is no Freja :)
(i really like her though)

Rrose Sélavy said...

^ You're right....Aymeline has that better walk. :P J/K There will never be another Freja, she's too precious for there to ever be another one of her. Aymeline just reminds me a lot of Freja with her looks and attitude. :) And the fact that the way I feel about her is the same way I felt when I first saw Freja.

omniety said...

Is the 7th picture freja? I think its her but I see no float tatto. The one with the white background and model smirking at the viewer.

Anonymous said...

I searched Twitter and found out Freja's agent from Unique tweeted that she's skipping this season!!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrmsrnZfcU

you can find new Chanel pics with Freja in this video.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I searched Twitter and found out Freja's agent from Unique tweeted that she's skipping this season!!!

is true?

endia said...

I guess it could be true. She wasn't at Fendi either. :(

Anonymous said...

I searched Twitter and found out Freja's agent from Unique tweeted that she's skipping this season!!!

can u give me a line about that.but i can't stand she absence the Chanel and Valentino

Unknown said...

I believe that. But a CHANEL show without Freja would be so different for me at least :(

Anonymous said...

It’s a great shoot Punk'd. Freja looks like a Mummi character in the first. The second like a boy and in the last picture like a Chrissie Hynde, great diversity. Arizona looks like a sweet punk girl too. Raquel has that strong Siouxsie Sioux look, all in all a very authentic shoot.

Anonymous said...

Could you scan the rest of the article please ????
Freja looks more than awesome on the picture

thanks for doing this wonderful blog

hugs from France

x