Thursday, August 6, 2009

In Other Words

I came across a lovely, insightful post about Freja written here on a blog called "July stars." I must say it's absolutely refreshing to read someone else's point of view on Freja and the way she fits into the modeling industry. Perhaps I have a tendency to over elaborate in my posts, but I think we would all benefit if we partook in more thoughtful and analytical discussion/musing. For I think fashion is a subject just as worthy and receptive to intellectualization as any of the other humanities. And maybe if we approached it more often in this manner, it would begin to garner respect rather than disdain so often associated with "frivolous" pursuits.

Sometimes it can get mundane to read the same declarations of praise over and over again, so I'm thoroughly impressed when someone can come up with such eloquent justifications for their thoughts. Some choice quotes:
"She seems very much of her time while also embodying the rebel among more mainstream contemporaries. I love her ability to break old-fashioned fashion judgements with her gentle and almost imperceptible way of interfering with the flow. Her individualism is her most impressive tool, serving as inspiration for the photographer who sometimes will even adapt his or her own agenda to her confident and unique character."

"Her presence is thrilling, intense and she has no trouble capturing the pace and rhythm of a shoot. The photographs are always infused with Freja’s intensely personal energy, all passion and pensive rebellious eyes."

"I tend to believe that the photographer is the one playing the prominent part in the creation of a masterpiece but in the case of stories featuring Freja I’ve come to realize that she’s the fundamental creative thread. Myths exert a powerful influence in the world of fashion, and the myth of the rebel is one of the most powerful."
I definitely could not have said it better myself. And I've never considered the push and pull between a photographer's vision and Freja's strong photographic personality...very interesting take indeed. Anyway, just thought I'd share these wonderful sentiments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these with us :D It was a pleasure to read. I'm surprised you haven't featured the Gucci ads yet! Or did I miss the post?

Rrose Sélavy said...

You haven't missed it. I haven't posted about the ads yet. I'm just gathering my thoughts...so hopefully this weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear about these thing, Freja is lovable.


BTW,the Gucci ads are abysmal. A topnotch cast and this is the best they can do?